Sunday, September 6, 2009

Beyond Babel

"'Come, let us go down, and confuse their language there, so they will not understand one another's speech.' So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city. Therefore it was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth."  Genesis 11:7-9

Salaam Aleikum! I have arrived at last in Jerusalem/West Bank to begin my year of international service through the Young Adults in Global Mission Program and ELCA. We had a great week of orientation in Chicago with all 50 of the YAGMs who are headed to locations throughout the world, then the six J-Crew (Jerusalem Crew) girls headed off to the Holy Lands! We had a week of in-country orientation, during which we stayed at a guest house called Talitha Kumi in Beit Jala. Now we have moved into housing near our placement sites for the coming year. I am very excited to tell you that I will be living in a Palestinian neighborhood in East Jerusalem called Beit Hanina, and will be serving at the Helen Keller Center for the Visually Impaired also located in Beit Hanina. I live with another volunteer (Anna) at the home of a Palestinian Christian woman who works at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in the Old City. Many of you have asked me where I would be living, and what I would be doing, so I am very happy to finally be able to tell you! 

While I have been here only a week so far, I am beginning to see what an eye opening experience it will be to live here for a year.  The situation in Palestine-Israel is utterly complex and multifaceted--politically, socially, and emotionally. I will never pretend to be an expert on the conflict; rather I can only communicate the stories that are told to me, the experiences I have, and the acts of oppression or reconciliation that I witness. I humbly and timidly ask you to learn with me, though, to share your thoughts and questions, and to not be afraid to challenge your own assumptions. I know that I am daily trying to challenge mine and grow in the process. 

Arabic, Hebrew, English, German, Italian...A multitude of languages enter my eyes and ears when I walk down the narrow, uneven streets of the Old City in Jerusalem. When I used to think about the story of the Tower of Babel, I admit that I was mostly perplexed about what God was doing- I mean, why mess with perfect communication? There are certainly many times in this past week since I arrived in the West Bank/Jerusalem when I have already felt the "effects of Babel." Any time you go to a new place you can more or less feel the effects of our having being scattered across the earth. I do not yet understand the Arabic language, nor do I read its elegant script, and I am frequently reminded of my inability to speak to the many wonderful Palestinians I am meeting in their own language.  I happily attempt to wrap my tongue around the new sounds, but at the same time often find myself smiling docilely because I do not know what is being said around me. 

But is Babel actually a story about God wanting to divide, confuse, and even frustrate us? I think not. Can we look at Babel instead as showing us how God wanted humans to be multifarious- different and unique within His creation? To come from different lands, to create different traditions, speak different languages, eat different foods, sing different songs? And then, what I find myself thinking now: how do we move beyond Babel? Beyond the differences that arise from the scattering of humankind? While it perhaps sounds cliche to say that I am talking about seeking our commonality, our shared humanity, I think it is vitally important to think this way within a context such as this one. There are great divides between groups of people here, but I am searching for the moments in which we look at one another and realize that we are each of us blessed, flawed, unique, connected- we are utterly and exquisitely human. So while we are scattered, while our tongues are confused, I look at this year as a time to focus on recognizing the beauty and holiness within the differences along with the similarities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment