On more than one occasion here, I have been reminded of the simple, yet powerful lyrics from one of my favorite songs from the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, South Pacific: “You’ve Got to Be Carefully Taught.” An angry Lieutenant Cable, with dawning realization of his own limiting prejudices, says, “it's not something you're born with,” and sings, “You’ve got to be taught to hate and fear…It’s got to be drummed in your dear little ear. You’ve got to be carefully taught.” He goes on, “You’ve got to be taught before it’s too late- before you are six or seven or eight—to hate all the people your relatives hate. You’ve got to be carefully taught!”
For those of you who haven’t seen the show, it’s underlying exploration of racism and prejudice in the plot is quite surprising, given its 1949 date. I think Cable’s song contains something crucial to remember, especially in conflict areas such as Israel-Palestine, where wounds run deep, and memory longer. There is no natural, inherent enmity between groups of people; Jewish children do not come out of the womb fearing Arabs anymore than Palestinian children do feeling anger and hatred towards Israelis. What is true is the sponge-like nature of children and the way they absorb ideas, opinions, and emotions from those around them, particularly from parents, elders and teachers.
When I look at my kindergartners at school, I marvel at their innocence. They do not care that I look different from their other teachers, or that I talk differently (though sometimes they giggle), or that I am from a strange place called America. They love me anyway and are perfectly content to hold my hand, play with me during free time, or talk to me earnestly as if I understood every word they said. Sometimes I think I’d like to freeze them in this moment of simple innocence. My kindergarteners are so very different from one student in the fifth grade who likes to use art class as an opportunity to quiz me about political ideas that he scarcely understands. Do I like Obama or George Bush? Do I love Arabs? Israelis? I attempt to tell him that I try to love all people even if I may not always like everything they do, and I hope he is starting to understand. It is likely that he is repeating things that he has heard from adults, taking on those perceptions and concepts as his own. You have to be carefully taught…but are you being taught in a way that will perpetuate conflict indefinitely, or in a way that leads to a society directed towards peace?
I remember a truly wonderful moment this Fall when a sixth grade girl, a Muslim, said to me in a combination of Arabic, English, and excited hand gestures: “I don’t think it’s good, Muslims over here and Christians over here (pointing in opposite directions). I am a Muslim (indicating herself) and you are a Christian (indicating me), and we love each other!” In a culture where people are often divided by racial and religious lines, where children are sometimes taught fear and hatred of the Other, this thirteen-year-old had the wisdom to recognize this beautiful idea: We are different, but we can love each other anyway. She is being carefully taught—but not hate and fear; instead acceptance and love.
While Lieutenant Cable’s song seems to be filled with anger, frustration, and negativity, I guess I can’t help but seek the hidden positive message buried in all the cynicism. It isn’t something you’re born with! Which means that change is possible; it all depends on what we teach and how we allow ourselves to be taught. It sounds idealistic, and well, it is. And I have to say, I think a dash of idealism could do the world some good.
Dear Lord, Please allow me to be carefully taught the way of love and understanding. Please guide all of us, especially parents, teachers, and mentors of children, to be careful of what we teach others through our words and actions. Inshallah, let us plant seeds that will grow into a future of peace and reconciliation in this and all places.
I will learn a song that imparts wisdom; I will then sing my insightful song to the accompaniment of a harp. Psalm 49:4
No comments:
Post a Comment